Log in

No account? Create an account
So you want to go to grad school?
Future grad students of the world unite!
Master of Arts in Teaching? 
14th-Aug-2013 11:24 pm
This is my first post to this community!
I am interested in teaching as a career and I've been searching around the web for programs that look like they might be a good fit.  I would like to apply to a Master of Arts in Teaching program. The only issue is that I'm interested in teaching English but my bachelor's degree is not in English...Is this a problem or are there universities which will still accept me? If not, does anyone have any suggestions?
15th-Aug-2013 07:20 am (UTC)
This really depends on where you want to teach, because every state has its own laws about teaching subjects and so on. Also, most secondary teachers I know did their MA in-service (while teaching), but that also varies. I'd suggest googling "teacher training in [state]" to get a handle on what the requirements are before looking at masters programs.
15th-Aug-2013 09:12 am (UTC)
I'll take a look. Thank you!
15th-Aug-2013 03:17 pm (UTC)
The other question - not just where do you want to teach, which is crucial to deciding what kind of degree you need for a particular state's certification, but who do you want to teach?

Generally speaking, there's a pretty significant oversupply of teachers at all levels, particularly in English. You may have a lot of difficulty even getting a job post-degree unless you also specialize in some kind of desired qualification or are planning on teaching in an extremely under-served area...and even many major cities and rural school districts are laying off teachers these days.

Granted, grad school in many fields has this same issue, but English is just so incredibly oversupplied (at both the K-12 and college level) that it's worth considering what else a program offers that you could use to strengthen your career options.
16th-Aug-2013 02:12 am (UTC)
Most MAT programs I have seen in English require students to have a major in English (or writing or journalism) or a certain number of credit hours - sometimes 24, but usually as many as 30 - in English. Because MAT programs are usually intensive one-year programs, they need you to have a base of knowledge first.

Even if you were able to find an MAT program that would let you in without significant coursework in English, you may not be able to get licensed to teach English in most states. You typically have to have a certain number of undergraduate hours in English in most states to teach English - and in many states, a major. And there are so many English teachers that not having a major is going to put you at a significant disadvantage on the job market.

You might find an M.Ed more amenable. Those usually take 2 years instead of one. Some of them are more flexible about major requirements.

There's also the option of taking some English classes as a non-degree student before applying.
This page was loaded Apr 23rd 2018, 3:28 pm GMT.