Log in

No account? Create an account
So you want to go to grad school?
Future grad students of the world unite!
UK honours degrees and GPA 
2nd-Mar-2008 10:28 am
I've searched for this everywhere but can't seem to find coherent answers. Does anyone here know what the GPA (in the U.S) equivalent of a UK honours degree is? I am particulary looking for the cut off GPA for first and second class honours degrees, including the Upper-Second (2:1) and Lower-Second (2.2).

Thank you!
2nd-Mar-2008 04:01 pm (UTC)
The simple answer is, there is no equivalent. When applying to grad school, the departments and grad offices are well-versed in what GPAs from other countries mean, so they'll know if your UK or US GPA/degree classification is good enough for them. There is no way to calculate it.

I had a First in he UK (72 overall) and applied to the US for grad school successfully. Are you an American applying to the UK or the other way around?
3rd-Mar-2008 12:40 am (UTC)
American applying to the UK.
2nd-Mar-2008 06:37 pm (UTC)
3.0-3.3 - 2:2
3.3- 3:5 2:1
3.5+ 1st

In another forum, I've found:
"But generally, it seems to me that the 'accepted' conversion from a few scholarship boards here (who send people to study in the US and the UK) is
3.8-4.0: 1st
3.6-3.8: 2:1"
2nd-Mar-2008 08:26 pm (UTC)
there is no equivalent. don't even try to translate your grades in american grades. you can apply with your grades from your country. i applied from germany to grad school with a gpa of 1.2. sound terrible? nah, it's almost perfect (perfect would be 1.0). i simply explained our grade scale (and so did my recommenders too) and schools are well aware of other countrie's scales. (i got in, by the way).
2nd-Mar-2008 10:24 pm (UTC)
There's no real equivalent. But I know the grad programs at my college require a second or a 3.0 for admission.
2nd-Mar-2008 11:51 pm (UTC)
I go to University in the UK, but I spent a year on a study abroad program in the States. Overall my GPA was 3.55, which was converted back to 63% - a low 2:1

I've read that a 3.5-3.8 GPA is roughly equivalent to a 2:1, and 3.8-4.0 is a 1st - not sure about a 2:2 though.
3rd-Mar-2008 12:41 am (UTC)
Does this apply to GPA at the Master's level or only undergrad GPA?
3rd-Mar-2008 12:58 am (UTC)
That was for undergraduate - for Masters I can't say
3rd-Mar-2008 05:28 pm (UTC)
I just applied for a bunch of Masters programs in the UK as an American, and to be honest, different unis seemed to have different definitions of what a 2:1 translated to. University of Edinburgh told me that it was a firm 3.4, while a couple other schools said it was roughly around a 3.2. I know it's just a few tenths of a point, but it's a big deal if you're right on the bubble!

Your best bet is to contact the specific schools themselves and ask them; also, a lot actually will give an American GPA required under their sections for international students.
6th-Jun-2008 03:58 am (UTC) - hi
It seems a U.S 3.0 is a UK 2.1.
13th-Mar-2010 08:56 pm (UTC)
True, at Edinburgh a 2:1 is a GPA of 3.4. However, at St. Andrews, they require the equivalent of a 2:1 or higher, which, to them, is a GPA of 3.6. I'm almost positive that Oxford and Cambridge require a GPA of 3.7. So, with that said, it's completely different for each university. But I don't agree with those who say a 2:1 is equivalent to a GPA of 3.0.
30th-Mar-2010 12:16 pm (UTC) - Degree equivalents
Look up degree clasifications in wikipedia ..it has a conversion table.Good luck Paul
This page was loaded Mar 23rd 2018, 10:37 am GMT.